Adolescent ASD and Asperger’s Syndrome Statistics and Facts
- According to CDC estimates, the prevalence of ASD is 1 in every 68 births in the U.S.
- Asperger’s Syndrome is 3 to 4 times more likely to be diagnosed in boys than girls
- Certain genetic disorders occur in 1 out of every 5 individuals with ASD
- Adults with AS are much more likely to have suicidal thoughts than the general population (10 times as likely per a survey conducted in England, with over 1 in 3 having planned or attempted suicide at some point in time)
- The exact cause of AS has not yet been determined, although environmental factors and genetics likely play a role
- Although there’s currently no cure for AS, proper intervention strategies can be highly beneficial and improve a person’s level of functioning
- Some individuals with AS are able to work full-time and live relatively or completely independently