3. Turkey and lemon meatballs with ‘spaghetti’ Napolitana
Serves four. Preparation: 20 minutes. Cooking: 35 minutes. Ten grams of carbs per serve.
- Olive oil spray, for cooking
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Boiling water, to thin the sauce (optional)
- 3 zucchini, spiralised
- 100g radicchio
- 100g rocket leaves
- 1 bulb baby fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 40g parmesan, to serve (optional)
Turkey and lemon meatballs:
- 600g lean minced turkey
- 40g flaked almonds
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- To make the meatballs, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and season with freshly ground black pepper. Divide the mixture into 20 portions and roll into balls.
- Heat a large heavy-based non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spray the meatballs lightly with olive oil and, working in two batches if necessary, pan-fry the meatballs for 12–15 minutes, turning regularly until browned and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat another heavy-based frying pan over low–medium heat. Spray the pan lightly with olive oil, add the onion and cook, stirring regularly, for five minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for one minute or until fragrant.
- Add the tomato and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8–10 minutes or until the tomato has broken down to form a thick sauce. Stir in the vinegar — add a little boiling water to thin out the sauce slightly if necessary.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and turn to coat. Add the zucchini ‘spaghetti’ and toss to combine. Cook for 1–2 minutes or until just heated through.
- To make the dressing, place all the ingredients in a screw-top jar, secure the lid and shake until combined. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
- Combine the radicchio, rocket and fennel in a large bowl. Add the dressing just before serving and toss to combine.
- Divide the zucchini ‘spaghetti’ and meatballs evenly among four bowls and grate or shave the Parmesan over the top, if using. Serve the salad on the side.
4. Chargrilled Cajun chicken and broccolini with salad
Serves four. Preparation: 25 minutes. Cooking: 15 minutes. Ten grams of carbs per serve.
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 600g chicken breast tenderloins
- Olive oil spray, for cooking
- 2 bunches broccolini, trimmed
Mixed leaf and avocado salad:
- 2 baby cos lettuce hearts, trimmed, leaves separated
- 1 green oak lettuce heart, trimmed, leaves separated
- 2 cups baby rocket leaves
- 2 cups mixed baby salad leaves
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, trimmed
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, halved lengthways and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 160g avocado, diced
- 40g pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped
- To make the salad, place the lettuce, rocket, salad leaves, spinach and cucumber in a large bowl and toss gently to mix.
- Place the garlic and mustard in a small bowl, season with freshly ground black pepper and stir to mix, then stir in the vinegar until combined. Whisk in the olive oil until emulsified. Add the dressing to the salad just before serving and toss to lightly coat, then add the avocado and pecans.
- Place the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and thyme in a shallow bowl large enough to fit the chicken, season with pepper and stir to mix well. Insert a skewer (see note) into each chicken tenderloin lengthways, then place in the Cajun spice mix, pressing to coat each chicken tenderloin evenly.
- Heat a chargrill pan over medium heat and spray with olive oil. Spray the chicken tenderloins with oil, then add the chicken to the hot chargrill pan and cook for 4–5 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and keep warm.
- Spray the broccolini with oil, then cook in the chargrill pan for three minutes on each side, or until tender but still crisp and chargrilled on the edges.
- Pile the salad, chicken and broccolini onto a large platter and serve.
Note: You will need to soak twelve long bamboo skewers in cold water for 30 minutes for this recipe.