Here are some more interesting facts and statistics about Crohn’s disease according to healthline.com and the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America.
- It’s estimated that between 5 and 20 percent of Crohn’s sufferers have a first-degree relative who also has the disease.
- Inflammatory bowel disease is usually diagnosed in young people between the ages of 15 and 30.
- Boys are more likely to develop IBD than girls, although Crohn’s disease affects males and females equally.
- People living at higher latitudes are more likely to have Crohn’s disease than those who live at lower latitudes.
- With appropriate treatment, around 50 percent of Crohn’s patients will have only mild disease symptoms or be in remission after five years.