Exercise is good for your body. But did you know that it is also good for mental health? Here are a few ways exercise can help:
- It helps us cope with stress.
- It lowers anxiety.
- It lifts our mood.
- It boosts our energy.
- It helps us feel good about ourselves.
- It helps us sleep well.
You do not have to spend a lot of time for these effects, either. Just 30 minutes a day, three or four days a week is enough to see big changes. It does not matter what kind of activity you do.
Here are some tips for boosting the mental health effects of exercise:
- Pick something you enjoy. Remember, you can do any activity that gets you moving! If you like the activity, you are more likely to do it.
- Focus on how the activity makes you feel.
- Exercise with someone else. You will get the benefits of exercise, plus you will connect with someone else. This is also good for your mental health. You are also more likely to keep up with your exercise sessions if you plan them with someone else.
- The next time you feel sad, worried or stressed, try going for a walk outside. Walking is a fast and easy way to feel better about things in your life.
If you have a health problem, talk to your doctor before you start a new exercise program.