Get enough sleep
Sleep has a huge effect on mental health. When we get enough sleep, it is easier to cope with stress, handle problems, concentrate, think positively and remember things.
The exact amount of sleep you need is based on your own body. You know that you are getting enough sleep when you do not feel sleepy during the day.
It is easy to think that we can get more done if we cut back on sleep. But it is harder to get things done when we do not get enough sleep.
Here are some things to try if you do not sleep well:
- Avoid exercising too close to your bedtime. Exercise gives you energy. But slow, relaxing activities like yoga can help calm you down before bed.
- Avoid big meals, alcohol, cigarettes and caffeine before bed. Caffeine is the part of coffee or black tea that makes you feel awake.
- Make sure your room is comfortable for sleeping. Many people find that they sleep best when their room is dark, quiet and cool.
- Stick to quiet activities just before bed, like reading.
- Follow a routine. Try to go to bed around the same time every night and wake up around the same time every morning, even on weekends.
- Only use your bedroom for sleeping and sex. Do work or watch TV in a different room.
- Avoid naps during the day if you have a hard time sleeping at night.
- Avoid sleeping pills. You may fall asleep faster, but they do not give you good, restful sleep.
Most people have sleep problems from time to time. If you often have sleep problems, it is best to talk to your doctor.