7. Treating Pain and Inflammation Naturally
- Essential oils and aromatherapy: Essential oils for lupus include frankincense essential oil (effective at reducing inflammation, take three drops three times daily in water, in honey or in capsule form), helichrysum oil (supports the nervous system and can help reverse autoimmune reactions, take internally or applied to neck area), lavender and geranium oils (used to treat skin inflammation, add three drops to carrier oil and rub into skin), and ginger oil (used for digestive issues, take three drops internally two to three times daily).
- Chiropractic adjustments: can help correct spinal problems, treat headaches, and reduce back pain or joint pain
- Yoga and stretching: improve flexibility, can help lower joint pain and improve range of motion. According to John Hopkin’s University, “Yoga also encourages a meditative focus, increased body awareness and mindfulness and some evidence suggests yoga may help decrease inflammatory mediators including C-reactive protein and interleukin-6.” (15)
- Detox baths using Epsom salts
- Acupuncture: effective for treating chronic pain naturally
- Massage therapy: can help reduce stress, muscle stiffness, soreness and swelling
- Mindfulness meditation: can help people cope better with stress, depression, and chronic tension or pain