Living With Someone Who Has Lupus
If someone close to you has lupus, your life will likely be affected, as well. It is important to understand your loved one’s illness and what he or she may be expecting from you. The following are some tips for living with someone who has lupus:
- Learn about lupus and its treatment. Understanding the illness can help you know what to expect, and provide better support and understanding.
- Don’t push. Give your loved one enough space to deal with the illness and regain some control over his or her life.
- When possible, go with the person to the doctor. This is a good way to offer support and to listen to what the doctor says. Sometimes, a person feels overwhelmed and cannot take in everything the doctor says.
- Encourage the person to take care of himself or herself and to follow the doctor’s treatment plan, but do it gently. Be patient and don’t nag.
- Be open with the person. Talk about your own fears and concerns, and ask the person about his or her fears and needs.