– Based on interviews with key opinion leaders (KOLs), GlobalData has identified key unmet needs in the SLE and LN marketplace.
– What will be the effect of recent and upcoming biologics on the SLE and LN treatment landscape?
– How will the upcoming first-in-class and me-too pipeline agents be received in the different markets?
– What research and development (R&D) strategies will companies leverage to compete in the future SLE and LN marketplace?
– Which patient population(s) are most likely to be targeted by newly introduced pipeline agents?
– GlobalData has calculated that the global SLE and LN market generated about $1.2 billion in sales in 2015. This global market is expected to grow by an astonishingly strong compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.6% from 2015-2025, reaching annual sales of $3.2 billion by the end of the forecast period. The majority of this growth will occur in the US, driven by an increased diagnosed disease prevalence of SLE and LN and the launch of three new first-in-class pipeline drugs (anifrolumab, Orencia [abatacept], and Lupuzor) and three improved therapeutic options (atacicept, blisibimod, and voclosporin). The SLE and LN market in the US is expected to grow at a CAGR of 10.4%, reaching sales of $2.8 billion by 2025. GlobalData estimates that sales in the 5EU to grow at a CAGR of 14.1% during the next 10 years, reaching $312.4m by 2025, while Japan will experience the lowest growth with a CAGR of 9.8%.
– KOLs interviewed by GlobalData repeatedly identified the need for efficacious drugs as the most important clinical unmet need, with reducing lupus morbidity and mortality and the development of sensitive and reliable biomarkers for diagnosis and disease management as key areas of need as well.
– GlobalData anticipates that opportunities will center on the development of safer and more efficacious drugs to treat the various disease manifestations in lupus.